A fire pump is a piece of equipment that provides the pressure for a water supply system used if there is a fire. It is a part of a fire sprinkler system or Fire. Hydrant system and powered by electric or diesel engine. The pump intake is either connected to the public underground water supply piping, or a static water source (e.g., tank, reservoir). The pump provides water flow at a higher pressure to the sprinkler system risers and hose standpipes. Fire Pump Package: Fire Pump package is required to comply with Local Civil Defense Authority regulations and International Codes of Practice e.g. National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) i.e. NFPA 20.
- Electric Motor Driven Fire Pump ‐ can use single stage pump, horizontal split case pump, end suction pump, multistage pump, material can be cast iron, stainless steel, and bronze impeller.
- Diesel Engine Driven Fire Pump ‐ with capacity and head equal to electric pump, with fuel tank, water tank fan, control box.
- Electric Motor Driven Jockey Pump – A vertical multistage pump, capacity will be small, but head should be higher than electric and diesel engine pump
- Control Panel – Auto Control of electric pump, diesel engine pump and Jockey Pump with overload, over current protection.
- Accessories – check valve, gate valve, pressure vessel, generally 0.6mpa, 1.0mpa, 1.6mpa, Pressure.
Types of Fire Fighting Pumps
- End Suction – Moderate floor space requirement, Flexibility in mechanical room layout, Available in electrical & diesel driven, Serviceable, Only available up to 1500 GPM maximum, Single suction design limits the Hydraulic efficiency.
- Horizontal Split Case – Available in wide flow and head range, Serviceable without disturbing piping & driver, Require large floor place for installation, Restrict the mechanical layout due to direction of rotation, more costly compare to other fire pumps, more difficult to service, Available in both electric and diesel driven.
- Vertical Turbines Fire Pump – Used where flooded suction cannot be maintained, Underground water sources or underground water tanks with above ground pump room, Operate under suction lift, available in electric & diesel driven, Available over wide flow & head range, Relatively costly compare to other fire pumps, More difficult to service & install.
- Vertical In-Line Fire Pump – Compact, Serviceable, Reliable, Cost effective, available up to 1500GPM maximum, available in electric drive.